Monday, July 5, 2010

love.

Let me tell you why I love concerts. Or more importantly, why I love standing in a concert crowd, five feet from the stage, shoulder to shoulder with people I've never met before. For some reason, you stand there with no inhibitions. It's like driving a car, only you don't have a windshield between yourself and the people trying to cut in front of you. But that doesn't stop you from speaking your mind and/or pushing everyone around you. Because 1.) they can barely hear you; and 2.) you'll never see these people again. Oh and 3.) you might be slightly inebriated.

You always make friends with the people around you. You find out that the last time the lady next to you saw Hole live, you were in the fourth grade. How the guy standing to your right thinks it's not her singing that makes her great, but her lack of concern for the audience's opinion of her. And how the weirdo behind you just might be Courtney's stalker.

So I'm standing in the Tabernacle. It's about 120 degrees and I'm a few feet from the stage surrounded by my new found friends. I stare at Courtney Love, wondering why in a world of people who think she's ridiculous, I'm so in awe of her. I've been enamored by her for a good part of my life. Not because she was Cobain's wife. Not because she makes headlines with her drug-enhanced antics. But because she's a poet. Somewhere inside that crazy, tangle-haired, wide-eyed girl behind the guitar is a writer that truly speaks to my soul. I stand there happy to know that the other hundred people that surround me in front of the stage feel the same way (especially stalker-guy behind me). And as she lifts that iconic leather-booted leg out from under her dress and onto the stage-front speaker, my hands go in the air and I sing along to my favorite song.

"I want to be the girl with the most cake.
I love him so much it just turns to hate.
I fake it so real, I am beyond fake.
And someday, you will ache like I ache.
Someday, you will ache like I ache."

 



1 comment:

  1. I totally had their first CD! I loved them. I had no idea she was still touring!

    ReplyDelete